The Ultra trap is fully customizable and can be fine-tuned to maximize capture rates and target specific mosquito species. The different setting options allow you to experiment and determine what works best on the mosquitoes in your area.
By accessing the Menu on the LCD display it's possible to adjust the Mosquito Attracting Stimuli settings - and there are literally thousands of combinations. Even small changes can have a significant impact on capture rates.
- Adjust heat pulsing (1-5 or off) from central core heat pulsing system to subtly alter the infrared signature that mimics changes in human body.
- Adjust speed (1-5) of fan to facilitate capture (live capture on setting #1) while also adjusting warmth from central core heat pulsing system [fan is essential to capture all species]
- Adjust flicker speed (1-5 or off) of central LED cluster to alter the appearance of variable frequency light movement inside the trap [attracts day time biters in particular]
- Adjust illumination intensity (1- 5 or off) of oscillating UV LED light array [spectrally matched to attract most mosquito species]
- Adjust UV cathode tube (on/off) [attracts day time biters in particular]
- Adjust gas settings (1-5 or off) to increase amount of CO2 released by slow gas release system [increases capture rate of most mosquito species by up to 400%] The highest gas setting is not necessarily the best. The trap may catch more if placed on a low gas setting and run 24/7.
Experiment with these MAS adjustments in combination with the trap's other options:
Catch Bag vs Catch Bucket
While the catch bag requires less attention, the wet catch bucket can produce better capture rates when filled with a mixture of water and any sugar based drink. This creates an airflow that is humidity enriched - much like human breath - as well as containing traces of sugar which mosquitoes identify as a source of energy.
With or without Lures
Octenol, a known mosquito attractant, and key ingredient in Mega-Catch™ fragrance strips, has been proven to enhance trap performance and increase capture rates of a wide variety of mosquito species as well as black flies, sand flies and biting midges.
However, the effectiveness of lures does vary greatly between different species and we recommend experimenting with and without lures. There may be 30 species in your yard, and only some of them will be a nuisance.
One of the great features of the Ultra trap is that there is scope to place other DIY attractants like smelly socks or Limburger cheese [known to attract Anopheles mosquitoes] in the base of the trap.
Trap placement is also crucial with studies reporting catch rates in shade or partial shade over three times higher than those in areas exposed to the sun. When locating your trap think shade, shelter from strong winds, damp areas, and vegetation. (see Mosquito Trap Optimization sheet).
While the Ultra Trap doesn't require CO2 to attract mosquitoes and other biting insects, Mega-Catch™ does offer its own patented CO2 gas attractant system for increased capture rates. Operation of the optional CO2 Gas Attractant System enables the Traps to replicate a key feature of human/animal respiration by releasing small quantities of CO2 into the air plume emanating from the base of the trap.
Mosquito traps do not eradicate mosquitoes. They reduce the size of the breeding population to the point at which the mosquitoes are no longer a nuisance (until rain brings the next infestation). This can take as much as 6-8 weeks, so don't expect instant results. To get the best out of your trap you need to be patient and experiment, experiment and experiment.