Getting ready to store your Mega-Catch™ mosquito trap for the cold winter months ahead? Remember a little bit of maintenance now will ensure a longer life for your trap as well as ensuring it is in peak condition and ready for the next mosquito massacre come spring (or when temperatures average 50°F).
Tips for Maintaining and Storing Your Trap over Winter
- Turn off your Mega-Catch™ Trap and disconnect the power cable.
- Turn off and disconnect the regulator from the C02 cylinder (Ultra). To ensure that insects don’t nest in your C02 system during the off-season place the regulator in a sealed bag, and place some electrical tape or similar over the end of the gas line (attached to the rear of the trap).
- Remove the skirt (Ultra & Premier) and wipe down the outside of the trap with clean soapy water and a damp cloth.
- Open your trap using a phillips screwdriver (Ultra & Premier) and again, using warm soapy water, clean the internal plates, heated reflective surface and fan, then allow to dry thoroughly. (Step by step guide in the Operation manual or download from http://www.megacatch.com/manuals.html).
- Using a small sponge or toothbrush and warm soapy water, reach into the trap (Alpha) and carefully clean the inside casing of the fan and fan blades.
- Remove and discard any opened attractant lures – they’re only effective for 30 days.
- Remove and clean the mesh catch bag – pollen, dust and dirt can prohibit airflow and prevent your trap from working efficiently. If the catch bag is torn or damaged in any way, remove and discard. Start next season with a fresh mesh bag.
- To extend the life of your trap, store it in a garage or shed, protected from the elements and extreme cold.
- Mid-way through winter, turn on your trap and let it run for a day. This will keep the timer battery charged (Ultra & Premier) and the fan moving (Alpha, Ultra & Premier).
Return to Whats New Home